""

Friday, 30 November 2012

Christmas Elving #3: Cornflour Clay Decorations

This should actually be entitled 'When crafts go bad' or 'Why the sleep-deprived should not be left in charge of ovens'.

I came across this cornflour clay recipe on Pinterest and thought I'd use it to make some Christmas decorations and hand/footprints of Baby I.

You will need:

1/2 cup Cornstarch (UK Cornflour)
1 cup Baking Soda (UK Bicarbonate of Soda)
3/4 cup Water


Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Put over a low heat and stir until it has thickened (the original recipe states it should be like smooth mashed potato - I found I needed it a bit thicker than this). Make the mixture into a rough ball and put in a bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to cool.

Once cool, you can either seal the dough in a plastic bag and keep in the fridge until you need it (I've had some in the fridge for about a week and it's still fine) or you can use it straight away.

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees (Gas 4). Line your baking tray with grease proof paper (I forgot to do this...).  Roll out the clay on a smooth surface lightly dusted with cornflour and use biscuit cutters to cut out your shapes. Use a straw to make the hanging holes at the top of each decoration. The decorations need about 1 hour to cook, and need to be turned over half way through.





All sounds pretty easy? Yeah.... I flipped them over after the first 30 mins in the oven. And then promptly forgot about them. Whoops. The decorations were now more toasted than bright white.


Suffice to say, I'll be making a second batch of these, using greaseproof paper, and setting many alarms to remind me to get them out of the oven! I'm hoping I can rescue the first batch with a coat of paint to cover the crispy bits. I'll be making some more decorations for our tree, plus some handprint tree decorations for the Grandmas to coo over!

1 comment:

  1. They look like a fabulous idea and easier to mould with little hands - the prints are perfect.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x