""

Sunday, 13 January 2013

A is for Alphabet

I'm a sucker for an alphabet book. We recently got a brilliant book out of our local library: Paul Thurlby's Alphabet. Vintage toned, punchy graphics are combined with subtle humour and imagination. We're definitely going to have to buy our own copy as I don't want to have to take it back to the library!

The Guardian recently featured some of the best alphabet flashcards so I thought I'd share some of my favourites...

Alphabet Animals by Lisa DeJohn
Image from here. Book available here.
Emily Sutton Illustration
Image from here.
Almost an Animal Alphabet by Katie Viggers
Image from here. Book from here.

Alphabet by Paul Thurlby
Image from here. Book from here.
Woop Studio Prints
Image from here.

The murmuration print would look beautiful on the chimney breast in our dining room... I'd better get saving! I think I'll be adding a few of these books to Baby I's birthday wishlist too - solely for her benefit of course. Ahem.

Edited to add:
I'd completely forgotten about this film, but came across it again when searching for Patrick Hruby and Charlie Harper as mentioned by Rachel in the comments. Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. I love Paul Thurlby's Alphabet - no way that's being passed on to friends when my kids are too old for it - it's a keeper! Have you seen ABC Circus by Patrick Hruby? Another beauty...and don't get me started on the Charlie Harper and Orla Kiely board books! I really have to restrain myself when it comes to kids books, we already have so many and they're always bringing out lovely new ones. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, ABC Circus is beautiful! I hadn't come across the Charlie Harper book either so thank you for the introductions! I had a huge collection of children's books even before I had a baby (curse of being a teacher!) and I'm having to try and curb my spending now!x

      Delete
  2. These are so lovely. Have you seen the Bold and Noble alphabet prints? I love their prints generally, there are lots of gorgeous animals and trees ones too that I covet. And fab that you have a little bookworm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bold and Noble - we've got the Trees around Britain print which is waiting to be hung on the wall (it's been waiting a while...). I hadn't seen the illustrated alphabet prints they do though...they're lovely! Another thing to add to my wishlist!

      Delete
  3. Hi there,

    I'm your newest follower from the Totally Awesome blog roll! I hope you follow me back!

    xo Michelle
    misanthropycreation.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x