""

Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Cook: Marmalade Muffins

Cosied up at home last week, with a sneezy, teethy baby in tow, it seemed the perfect opportunity to get baking. Baby was sat in her highchair in the kitchen, plastic spoons in hand to bang/drop on the floor (guess which she preferred...) and I set to work.


I found this recipe for marmalade muffins on the BBC Good Food website and it sounded like a winner. Cake and marmalade together can never be a bad thing. Not only that, but the recipe was of the mix it all up together ilk - less work and less washing up! 


My muffins didn't look anywhere near as pretty as the ones on the website, and the marmalade didn't magically stay in the centre of the muffin, instead sinking bottomwards, but they still tasted good! (And that's all that matters really!)

Marmalade Muffins

Ingredients:

175g plain flour
25g porridge oats, plus extra for sprinkling
175g light brown soft sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp sunflower oil
150g plain yoghurt
1 large egg
9 tsp chunky marmalade

Method:

1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6 and line a muffin tin with 9 paper cases. Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and bicarb in a bowl. Whisk the orange zest and juice, oil, yogurt and egg together with a fork, then lightly stir the 2 mixtures together until just combined.

2.Spoon 1 tbsp of the mixture into each muffin case, top with 1 tsp of marmalade, then cover with the remaining muffin mix and a sprinkling of oats. Bake for 15-20 mins until cooked through and golden, then leave to cool slightly.


Hmm...what to cook next? Any cake recipes gratefully received!

6 comments:

  1. Oh they look lovely ... cake and marmalade is a marriage made in heaven ... I will be posting a recipe for apple cake later in the week ... it is delicious ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love apple cake! I'll keep an eye out for that x

      Delete
    2. Yum, do you think I could get away with this as one of my five a day? It does have orange in! I love banana bread its one of my all time favourites, and very easy :-) the link is below x

      Delete
    3. Ha, definitely worth a shot as one of your five a day! Your banana bread recipe looks tasty - I've always used a mary berry one, but she doesn't use chocolate, so I think I need to try yours!x

      Delete
  2. Well I think they look brilliant! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x