""

Monday, 7 January 2013

House: Dining room

We always knew this house was going to take a while to finish. Buying a house when pregnant was never going to be conducive to getting lots of DIY finished, and I'm still quite impressed we managed to do the bare minimum before the baby was born: sorting the heating, electrics and plastering/painting 2 bedrooms and the living room.

The dining room is next on our list and we've got work lined up for the coming months to sort the damp problem, fix the chimney/fireplace and get it replastered. So my mind is now wandering towards what the room will look like once all the 'big' jobs are done.

Currently, our dining room looks like this:


Not a pretty sight!

Pinterest has provided me with plenty of inspiration. I'm hoping that I can make the finished room look like a mish-mash of all of these...








wooden table . painted chairs . pendant lampshade . shelves . wall . fireplace . wall clock


Hopefully I'll be back with an 'after' picture before too long...

13 comments:

  1. Love these images. You will do it! We did our house up over the years. I do love a wooden table! Can't wait to see the finished room. Jxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will do it! Positive thinking and all that! I'm on the hunt for a table now - something with a bit of character to replace our cheapy IKEA one! x

      Delete
  2. I like this mish mash. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! (I'm just hoping it doesn't look like a mish-mash once it's finished!)x

      Delete
  3. I like the new blog look! And the dining room looks exciting too. So fresh and bright - it would be fab if you have it finished for spring - will be lovely sitting in there with boiled egg and soldiers with some sunshine coming in! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping for - clean, bright white walls. Boiled egg and soldiers sounds good too! Blog look is a work in progress...I was playing with it last night but didn't get very far! xxx

      Delete
  4. I love all these images Helen, your dining room is going to be splendid! We have the John Lewis light shade in our kitchen in slate blue and I love it. Good luck with the continuing decoration! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's always good to know that something is as lovely in real life as it is in pictures - thank you! I think I'm erring towards the slate blue colour too... Thanks for finding my blog!x

      Delete
  5. I think its great you showed the 'before' we've done so much renovations to our house as it was a utter mess when we bought it. I didnt take any before pics and I really regret it as we've made it so different! I love your inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken so many 'before' pictures! (Mainly out of boredom that we weren't getting any DIY done I think!) But yes, it will be really good to look back and see the improvements. Would love to see more of your house on your blog - the turquoise colour you've used is glorious! Thanks for coming over to my blog!x

      Delete
  6. It's really good to have the 'before' and 'inspiration' shots like these, it will help focus you in the long days of doing and painting, but your house looks to have great bones so I am sure it will look fantastic when finished. By the way, I am sure you have probably had this before, but I have nominated you for the Liebster award thingy. The questions are over on my blog if you'd like to take part. Suzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the house does have good bones - that was the main reason we bought it. We saw past the orange hessian wallpaper (yes, really!) and the lack of many radiators! Thank you so much for the Liebster - I have done it already (as you found out!) but if I get a chance, I'll add your questions on to the original post I did!x

      Delete
  7. Ha! Scrub that last comment, I've just realised you only just did the Liebster thing, I knew I had only just read about it somewhere - doh!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x