""

Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Baby: Spinach and Cheese Drop Scones


I've been on the hunt for some lunchtime inspiration for Baby I. There's only so many times you can serve up something-on-toast without feeling like you're in some sort of weaning groundhog day.*

After reading about drop scones on this website, I had a go making some with spinach and cheese stirred through them. They took about 5 minutes to make, and about the same amount of time to disappear - they were very popular! They were best hot from the pan (what?! I had to test them to make sure they were okay...), but were pretty good even after being frozen, defrosted, and then warmed in one of those toaster bags. It's been really good having a stash of these in the freezer for the days when I need a speedy lunch for her.

Spinach and Cheese Drop Scones

1 egg
300 ml milk
Self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 or 4 cubes frozen spinach (This stuff is brilliant and so useful to have a stash of in the freezer!) I'm sure wilting down fresh spinach and squeezing out excess liquid would work just as well too.
As much grated cheese as you would like (I used extra strong cheddar which was surprisingly popular!)
A little butter/oil for frying

Whisk the egg and stir in the milk. Mix in the flour until it makes a thick batter. Defrost the spinach (I find a quick zap in the microwave does the trick), squeeze out excess liquid and stir through the batter with the grated cheese. Heat the butter/oil in the pan and spoon in dollops of the batter. Once bubbles start appearing on the surface, they're ready to flip over. Once they're cooked through and browned on each side, they're done. Enjoy!

Original recipe inspiration from here.


Baby I seems to be a bit of a banana fiend (think excited noises, waving arms, open mouth and grabby hands as soon as a banana appears anywhere near her!) so I think I might try making some banana drop scones, perhaps with a dash of cinnamon. Peas, chopped up broccoli, sweetcorn, grated carrot, and grated courgette could all work too I reckon. I'd best get cooking!

* I know, I know, strict baby led weaner mums would just be giving the baby a bit of what they're having for lunch. But if that was the case, Baby I would mostly be subsisting on chocolate spread on toast, mini cheddars and bagels. I am rubbish at my lunches when I'm at home! Hence the need for inspiration!

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I've only ever had drop scones sweet but why not savoury? I do a similar quick lunch of courgette fritters - basically grated courgette, finely chopped onion, egg, flour, fresh coriander and crumbled feta cheese - I don't really weigh anything - I'm a bit of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants cook but it works. The kids love them - I always think I've made enough to freeze some and then they all get eaten! Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh they sound good! And things that don't have to be weighed are perfect!x

      Delete
  2. They look delicious ... I will be giving them a go ... my little girl would love them I think ... and she is old enough now to have a go at stirring and mixing ... this always helps when trying to get the little ones to eat something new ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm sure she'd love helping to stir them up! Think I've got a little while to wait until baby and I can cook together!x

      Delete
  3. These look delicious! I'm gonna try making them. I'm rubbish at freezer food, so good to know they can be toasted. Not a banana and cinnamon fan...any ideas for another breakfast flavour? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, banana and cinnamon drop scones would be like your evil nemesis! Blueberries/raspberries/raisins could all be good? Or just a splodge of runny honey and substitute some of the flour for ground almonds? Bet pineapple/something else exotic could be fun too!xx

      Delete
  4. These look AMAZING! I love spinach and always feel particularly smug when I managed to squeak a bit into This Baby. I am definitely making these! Thank you for sharing :)

    Kate
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes hidden veg is always good! (Not that my little one gets much choice/minds at the moment!) What food does your youngest like best at the minute? I'm always after baby food inspiration!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to try these. My tummy rumbles just looking at them! I've taken to grating zucchini in to everything these days as the kids can't detect it. I always tell them afterwards "Guess what was in there? --zucchini!" and they think it's so funny that I snuck it past them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sneaky mama! I can remember my mum doing the same to my brothers!

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x