""

Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Floral Ombre: Nature in the home

It would appear that Spring has, at last, put in an appearance. Bright blue skies, warm sun on shoulders and the garden finally starting to get growing. Yesterday, we made the most of the sunshine and had a picnic lunch in the garden. Surrounded by sleepy bees, freshly mown grass and washing flapping on the line, it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon.

The garden is finally giving out more colour. The camellias are in full bloom, the pear tree is covered in blossom (which I'm very hopeful about as last year the pear crop was pretty dismal) and the quince bushes are covered in coral coloured, waxy flowers. Growing alongside the bright coral quince bushes, clashing beautifully, is the flowering currant.

The flowering currant bush has the most beautiful pink, tiny flowers creating a natural ombre effect from light to dark down each stem. I snipped off a few shoots as we wandered round the garden, and they've been brightening up our mantel ever since.




Joining in with Lou's Nature in the Home.

18 comments:

  1. Just visited from Lou's blog. Your redcurrant looks lovely, think I'll copy you tomorrow! Am looking forward to spending some time reading through your archives- your blog is very inviting! Love Penny L in Dorset

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pinky flowers on those cuttings. I keep gazing at my little apple tree waiting for blossom - soon I hope!
    Charming photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your apple tree is blossoming merrily now!x

      Delete
  3. Just so beautiful in those glass jars! Such a beautiful snippet from your backyard! oh currant bush I may have to find you this summer and plant you in my own backyard! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - we're very lucky to have moved into a very well stocked garden!x

      Delete
  4. The blooms are beautiful, and the little bottles are perfect to display them in. I have never seen any currant bushes here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I love these little bottles, very versatile!x

      Delete
  5. Really gorgeous ... the ombre effect is so pretty ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're lovely aren't they - I'd never noticed the ombre effect until I looked closely - the things we miss!x

      Delete
  6. The ombre effect is gorgeous - I love this plant. I am now really wishing I had more blossom-y trees in my garden. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to have a lot of blossomy plants thanks to the elderly chap that owned our house before us! The ombre is lovely - and just the flowers being open/closed I think! V clever!x

      Delete
  7. Such pretty flowers and I love those little bottles. It sounds like your lunch in the garden was a lovely affair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed :) Thanks - the little bottles are a few charity shop finds over the past few years - I always keep an eye out for them!

      Delete
  8. My Camelia is looking good too and we didn't have any blossom at all on our plum tree last year but this year it's trying hard - love your images x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your plum tree has got going with the blossom! Our pear trees are still covered in blooms so I'm ever hopeful for fruit this year! Thank you x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x