""

Wednesday, 8 May 2013

This time last year.

May 8th.

That was the date marked in my diary. On our calendar. On my phone. A few rings scribbled around it.  Underlined for emphasis. Exclamation marks for good measure, as if it wasn't exciting enough already.

DUE DATE!!!

By my due date, my main form of transport was the waddle. I'd worn a track in the local canal path as I plodded up and down, trying to walk this baby out. My body was now 30% baby, 40% toast, 10% pineapple and 20% tonic water. (I'd read that the quinine in tonic water could bring on labour so drank nigh on a whole bottle in a day. And then, unsurprisingly, felt really sick. But then wondered if the nausea was the start of labour. It wasn't. Moral of the story: only drink tonic water when you can have it with a good measure of gin). I was rapidly growing out of my maternity gear (see previous comment about toast. All makes sense now...) and was getting very, VERY impatient!

But as everyone had told me, babies come when they're ready. I just had a little while yet to wait...

3 comments:

  1. Gosh I remember that feeling well. William was 13 days late and I was SO impatient. I thought he would come dead on time as a treat for working up until four days before. Nope. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new one - tonic water. Pineapple didn't work for me either (or raspberry leaf tea).

    Hard to believe it was only in August last year! The best eight months ever and worth the pain...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a new one - tonic water. Pineapple didn't work for me either (or raspberry leaf tea).

    Hard to believe it was only in August last year! The best eight months ever and worth the pain...

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x