""

Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Librarying

Photo from here
Back when I rekindled my love affair with my blog, once I had lost that newborn baby fog and regained some brain power, I wrote an 'About Me' section (look, it's just up there) that said I was going to write about books I was reading. Ahem. When was the last time I read a book from cover to cover? Ermmm. It was definitely this year. I think. Perhaps March?! As a bit of a bookworm, my lack of reading real-life books pains me somewhat. I used to be that child that would read the back of the cereal packet just to have something to read over breakfast. As a young teen, I systematically worked my way through the entire series of The Babysitter's Club, and whilst at Uni, I spent my days working through great tomes as part of my English Lit degree. Hence why, now, it feels odd to not have my nose in a book all the time. I read a lot of blogs, which I suppose is like reading an unfinished novel, just another part of the story. And I read a lot of children's books too, although as some of these only have 6 words in, I'm not entirely sure they count.

As I've mentioned before, we are lucky to live only a ten minute walk away from our library, and a very lovely library it is too. The children's section is brilliant and is built to be clambered over, under and round. With lots of comfy beanbags, plenty of crawling baby height shelves, and so many brilliant books, it's a staple visit of our week. So last weekend, after picking up a stack of colourful, noisy, flappy books for a certain girl, we wandered upstairs to the grown-up book section. By this point I had a grouchy baby who wanted her tea, so my visit was hasty and I grabbed the books with covers that appealed or with titles that sounded intriguing. So my stack of books includes 'Lucky Bunny' by Jill Dawson, 'The Kitchen House' by Kathleen Grissom and 'Jack the Lad and Bloody Mary' by Joseph Connolly. I'm hoping that by showing the big, wide world these books, it might make me read them...

And just as proof that I really DO judge a book by its cover:


8 comments:

  1. Oo they all look good - I'll be expecting a recommendation soon! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss proper reading too, so much so I took myself to the adult section of our library last week! Do share your thoughts on these books,might inspire this lapsed English graduate too! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have really struck a chord with me ... I too read the cereal packet at breakfast as a child and have just recently got stuck into reading again ... I love it and I was really missing it ... my last read was The Snow Child ... really lovely ... do let us know if these are good ... I really need recommendations ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I heard a lot of good things about The Snow Child but never got round to finding it - I'll have to look it out. Will blog about these soon I hope!x

      Delete
  4. I used to read the back of the bleach bottle whilst having a wee, usually like I was recording an ad for it. That was fun, might start it up again, thanks for the reminder!

    I always tell people how much I love reading then I think, crap, I haven't actually read a book in ages and my friends who I consider non-booky people are ploughing through the book aisle at Tesco like no one's business.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog btw! Just trying to comment back at a few lovely people. I have a 9 week baby and I'm finding it hard to do the blogging commenty thing right now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, the bleach bottle comment is brilliant! Yeah, it's exactly the non-booky Tesco thing - I would consider reading one of my 'hobbies' but actually, it's as much my hobby at the moment as sky-diving/base jumping/dinosaur spotting!! Need to rectify it sharpish!
      Thank you for popping over :) x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x