""

Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Snippets of the nursery








This room was the first we started to decorate when we moved in. I was 5 months pregnant, and getting a space ready for the baby was high up the list of important jobs in my hormone-fuelled mind. 

We had chosen not to find out whether we were expecting a boy or a girl, so this room had to be neutral. I didn't want to go down the lemon yellow or beige route, and after we'd put the initial wash of paint on the new plaster, the white we had in mind seemed too stark. We ended up using a soft grey that seems to change colour depending on the time of day and season. In the morning, filled with cool sunshine, it looks pale smokey blue. By the evening, flushed with the warmth of the summer's day, it takes on a dusky purple hue.

Over a year on, it's almost looking like the room I had in my head all those months ago. Calm and quiet, with splashes of colour. I've recently put some family photos, and prints and postcards I've been collecting, up on the walls which adds some much needed detail. I've rearranged the mantelpiece (here it is before), bringing some beautifully illustrated books to the fore (if you haven't come across Alice Melvin's drawings before, do take a look) and strung up a colourful bird from the lampshade (an unintentional bird theme has emerged in her bedroom...).

I now want to create a little reading nook with some floor cushions and a rug, find some colourful ribbons to act as curtain tiebacks, and create a new, brighter mobile above the cot to replace the black and white birds I made while on maternity leave. Time to get rummaging in my fabric box (who am I kidding...I've got a fabric crate, a chest AND a box...) I think!

10 comments:

  1. Such a lovely room. I particularly like your Miffy collection - it was always a favourite of mine when the Boy was tiny! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to look out for some more Miffy books for her - the puzzle was a charity shop bargain (one of those that you grab quickly before anyone else spots it!)x

      Delete
  2. Your nursery looks beautiful ... what a lucky little girl you have ... I love the postcard display ... there are some very pretty ones there ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I've been collecting these postcards for yonks and can finally put them up!x

      Delete
  3. beautiful. beautiful. indeed it is perfect. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about perfect - especially when the bookcase has been emptied across the floor, clean washing has been dragged around and teddies have been flung every which way! We like it though!x

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and calm space, did you copy the cover of those books? brilliant idea lucky babe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book covers are from 'Postcards from Puffin' - so many lovely book covers in there! Thank you, calm was the aim!x

      Delete
  5. Gosh it looks beautiful!! I feel slightly ashamed of our nursery in comparison!! I particular love the black and white mobile, so sweet :)

    Kate x
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it's the first child thing I think - I had time when pregnant to collect little bits up together etc! If I have another baby, it'll end up with whatever's handy and practical!! ;) x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x