""

Wednesday, 26 June 2013

White: Nature in the Home






I have a little box in my bedroom, full of seaglass, tiny shells and striped pebbles. All treasures collected from beach trips over the past few years. I always come home from the beach with pockets full of finds - I'm looking forward to staying near the beach in a few weeks' time and filling up my pockets once more. Sitting on pebble banks, sifting through wave-washed colours. Walking, hunched over, at the shore line, spotting the blue and green jewels of glass.

Our garden has mostly gone past its white phase now - the snowdrops are long gone, the Solomon's seal has all died back, and even the dandelions have disappeared. So this week's Nature in the Home comes courtesy of the (far off) shore line. The pearlised white shells, washed smooth by the sea and bleached further by the sun.

There are a few white flowers left in the garden though - and I couldn't resist snipping a few blooms. Un-floral Wednesdays feel slightly odd now! The 'Mock Orange' (Philadelphus) is growing profusely at the moment, ever upwards and outwards. The foxgloves are covering the garden at the moment too. As pure white as their flowers are, I wasn't going to bring them indoors because the bees love them so much (and there's that little thing of them being poisonous!).




16 comments:

  1. ooo i love white foxgloves. and the fact you have a nature treasure trove rich with memory xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, I love that you have collected so many things from the beach, I have been collecting a memory box since our son was born and there are little pieces of driftwood in there-I think I might put them out on show rather than hiding them away! You've also inspired me to go and get some of the cotoneaster out of the garden and bring it indoors-thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, put them on show! I've just had to look up cotoneaster, I'd never heard of it!

      Delete
  3. The foxgloves are beautiful. The shells are beautiful too, my daughter is a big shell collector, normally taken home in a dog poop bag! lovely, katie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe - I've found new uses for nappy bags since becoming a mama! Good collecting bags! x

      Delete
  4. These are stunning shots. Really love the shells and pebbles, and that flower on the plate? Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping over from the Nature In The Home series. Love your blog.

    I am always on the look out for shells and pebbles and all the flotsam and jetsom that the sea washes up. Honestly I could spend all day every day doing it. I have my favourite finds scattered all over the house. At the moment me and my son Alfie look for heart shaped pebbles.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over! Ooh, heart shaped pebbles sound lovely - have you found many?x

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful images, and I have that Wednesday floral feeling too now :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x