""

Wednesday, 17 July 2013

A few new garden finds

This old garden of mine keeps surprising me. It's a good job that I STILL haven't got round to creating a plan of what's growing where yet as I'd be constantly having to add in things that I hadn't yet spotted in the 18 months we've lived here. I don't know whether it's because last Summer passed by in a haze of sleepless nights and a constantly feeding baby, or that the weather conditions (bucket loads of rain followed by hot hot heat) have caused earlier/later flowering than normal. Whatever the reason, I like it! The colour scheme of our garden has always puzzled me somewhat as the colours seemed to jar...but for the first time, it actually seems to work. It's looking amazingly vibrant with fluorescent oranges against cobalt blues, almost luminous pinks next to deep yellows.

The tropical vibe continues through to the front garden where, after a weekend away, I was amazed to discover we have a Passion Flower (Passiflora caerulea) growing in amongst the quince bushes. Wow! There is something very alien about these flowers, but there is sculptural brilliance in their colourful petals.



I then discovered these triffid-like flowers growing in a few spots in the garden. I thought it was a weed at first, but on closer inspection, and after hunting online, I discovered it's Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis) I never knew it looked like that! I love the other names given for it on the RHS site - 'Scabbish' and 'Wild four o'clock' are my favourites I think!



 Because our house was last decorated in the mid 1970s (judging by the orange hessian wallpaper!), it is no surprise that our garden also contains that most stylish of features: the rockery. Amongst the house leeks, and other as yet unidentified flowers, I discovered the yellow button-flowered Cotton Lavender (Santolina chamaecyparissus). It's easy to see how it's similar to 'normal' Lavender, with its silvery green fronded stalks and oily, herbal smell. The Cotton Lavender flowers are my Nature in the Home link up this week - their round heads were too good to pass by.






And on a related floral note, you can find me over on the Sarah Raven blog today - do stop by and take a look as there are some brilliant posts from the other writers, and so many beautiful, inspiring photos. 

4 comments:

  1. You just solved a mystery for me - I have evening primrose in my garden and I, too, thought it was a weed. Then it started to bloom and I kinda liked it. I love how it blooms at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, brilliant! Glad to be helpful! Until you said it I hadn't noticed the way the flowers open more in the eve - so thank you too!

      Delete
  2. Love those cotton lavender flowers. I was admiring some the other day, they remind me of the seaside somehow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, they are reminiscent of the beach aren't they. I wonder if they grow well in coastal areas or something - I'll have to keep an eye out when I'm on holiday in a few weeks' time.

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x