""

Monday, 22 July 2013

We're jammin'

Clear blue skies, swifts swooping overhead, and the sun beating down. The perfect day for strawberry picking. Armed with a picnic, the sun tent and our baskets, we headed off to our local fruit farm. Once there, we bumped along with the pushchair until we reached the far end of the field where we were assured the best strawberries were to be found. They weren't wrong. The plants were laden with fruit and in no time at all, I'd filled the basket to the brim. An extra punnet of strawberries, plus a handful of raspberries destined for pudding bowls, and we were done. A happy few hours in the sunshine well spent.

Our local P.Y.O is Clive's Fruit Farm - we'd never been before, but we'll definitely be returning. Fruit to pick, animals to see, a well stocked farm shop, plus huge orchards where you can pick your own apples come the Autumn. The strawberries at Clive's are grown in troughs at waist level and are under massive poly tunnels - I'd never seen this before, but it seems to make it easier to pick them, and water them, so it's win win!



What I hadn't factored in to my jam plan, however, was how meltingly hot it would be making jam on a summer's evening when it's still 25 degrees outside! Urgh! Luckily, our kitchen is on the cooler side of the house so it wasn't too much of a sauna.

I used the strawberry jam recipe from my River Cottage Preserves book. It has yet to let me down on any other jam, marmalade or chutney recipe, so I have high hopes for this jam. It's had the seal of approval from R this morning, who is a bit of a Bonne Maman addict, so that's high praise indeed! I think I need to make some scones now...

6 comments:

  1. I love Clives - it is a favourite spot for us. Did you pick cherries too? We will be there next week for sure but I don't think I'll be making jam - my lot don't like strawberry! Mad, every one of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I forgot about the cherries until I had a grouchy baby on my hands, so it didn't seem wise! I think we'll be heading back in a few weeks though so I'll be hoping the cherries are still going!
      Don't like strawberry jam?!?! Crazy! x

      Delete
  2. I can smell that strawberry jam cooking from here! You are a braver woman than I though ... it's far too hot for jam making here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More foolish than brave! It did smell so good though!x

      Delete
  3. Oh your jam looks delicious ... I love the way the sunlight is shining through it ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I've finally tasted it and it is pretty darn delicious, if a tad runnier than I hoped! x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x