""

Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Quinces - Nature in the Home: Week 2








We gathered up some of the quinces last week - collecting the ones that had already fallen from the branches. The bucket of fruit has sat in the corner of the kitchen ever since then. I still have to decide what I'm going to do with them all - marmalade, chutney, roasted or pickled are all contenders. While the quinces await their fate, a few of them are being decorative in the living room. As the heating warms the room, they are adding a delicate rose/honey/citrus tang to the air - pffft, who needs any of these air freshener plug ins when you've got a bowl of quinces?!

Technically, these are not true quinces - these are Japanese quinces, aka Chaenomeles japonica.

Joining in with Little Green Shed's Nature in the Home.

I also have Junior Nature in the Home this week - my little one obviously wanted to join in with her decorative plate of banana pennies...!


14 comments:

  1. oh so beautiful. I love the last image best of all so glad you included it! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, it did make me chuckle as I looked back through the images! x

      Delete
  2. So lovely ... the last photo is priceless ... thanks for your kind words earlier ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was obviously keen to join in! Glad to hear your boy is on the mend now x

      Delete
  3. Last year we made quince brandy for christmas and it was delicious. I am very jealous of your quince tree in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely...Junior NitH is my fav! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the scent of quinces ... we have some here and I'm liking Beach Hut Cooks quince brandy idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they smell lovely don't they - the bucket of them is STILL sat in the kitchen waiting for me to have some inspiration, so the kitchen smells delicious! x

      Delete
  6. What do they taste like? I've never tried quince. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're related to apples and pears - so are reminiscent of both of those, but with a citrussy tang, plus a honey/rose perfume thing going on too! And they're completely inedible raw as they're so hard and sour, so have to be cooked! x

      Delete
  7. I love quinces and their scent is always beautiful. Gorgeous last photo xox Penny

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x