""

Thursday, 7 November 2013

Autumn Garden - Nature in the Home: Week 3

Toddler nap times seem to at last be settling down in our house. So I have a much happier girl on my hands and I once again get a chance to catch up on jobs and have a moment of quiet (and a hot cup of tea...).

We didn't go to our normal toddler group this morning - instead we had a slower start to the day. Cake was made to use up the rapidly soggifying bananas in the fruit bowl, while my little one trundled around with her trolley taking the duplo people for a ride. And then it was nap time. The house became quiet apart from 6music on the radio (heard this song for the first time - it's beautiful). While the kettle boiled for a much needed cup of tea, I nipped out into the front garden as I'd spotted an apricot rose (it's this David Austin one - a Golden Wedding present for the couple that lived here before us I think. So lovely) that was, amazingly, just coming into bloom.

The smoke bush is looking pretty amazing at the moment too - the leaves are changing from burgundy to various shades of burnt orange. The beech hedge (due for a short back and sides haircut soon) is currently green, yellow, brown and orange. And the dogwood's bright red branches are now bare of any leaves but look wonderful bald. A few snips here and there and I had enough to fill a jam jar (really need to buy myself a small vase!). A bundle of yellow, orange and red autumn.



14 comments:

  1. Such a lovely display... muted tones, delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - luckily there are lots of good colours in our garden at the moment! x

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely autumn posy, and so much more satisfying that it's come from your own garden. Glad you've sorted the afternoon sleeps, I remember running around like a lunatic when my boys slept during the day - even just thirty minutes to yourself is brilliant isn't it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was so nice to be able to go and gather it all from the garden and put it together. I do the same running around like a lunatic - trying to do 3 jobs at once just to make the most of it!x

      Delete
  3. Lovely colours - I love the snippings from the smoke bush.
    And I know how nice it is to get that quiet time when they nap. Mine's usually around 2pm and the kettle goes on as soon as Joe goes quiet... nice to hear you've got it all in hand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how getting the kettle on is such a nap time ritual for so many - "quick! a hot cup of tea!" x

      Delete
  4. I think jam jars are perfect flower receptacles, just look how beautiful your arrangement is.

    Your photography is wonderful Helen, I'm so glad I found you (via Mitenska).

    PS I live in Worcester too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for popping over! And hello to a fellow Worcester-ite! (I think I follow you on IG actually!) x

      Delete
  5. so simple
    and so elegant.
    lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and beautiful arrangement- you inspire me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful colours and the rose is divine x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x