""

Friday, 22 November 2013

Beech Stars - Nature in the Home: Week 5

Our unruly beech hedge had a haircut this week. It is now a shadow of its former self, having grown very wild, tall and straggly over the past year or two. Since the short back and sides, there's been a heap of orange and brown crunchy leaves and twigs residing in our garden, waiting to be trailered away.

This week I also spied some lovely looking twiggy stars in town. A tad pricey, I thought, for some glued-together sticks....and then, ding! My brain woke up. I have a heap of sticks in the garden! And a glue gun!

So, with a napping toddler (so a 30 minute or so deadline, seeing as nap time seems to have gone a bit skew whiff at the moment), I set to work. I made a 6 point star which is okaaaay but I wasn't happy with it really, so while R was on toddler-bathtime duty yesterday evening, I whipped up a 5 pointer which I'm much happier with.











You will need:
5 or 6 straight-ish sticks (mine were all 0.5cm - 1cm wide)
Glue gun
Garden twine

Lay your sticks out in the desired star shape - to make the 6 point star, I found it easiest to make 2 triangles and then join these together. Due to quirks and bends in the sticks, you may need to have a play and try them in different positions to get them lying flat enough to glue. Put a blob of glue at each point the twigs touch.

Once the glue has dried (so you can pick up the star without it all sliding floor-wards...), wrap the twine around each join (thus hiding all the glue!) and tie off at the back.

I want to try making more stars now - I think bright string could look really good - perhaps even neon? Mini stars strung up could be lovely too - I want to hang a line of them down our doors.

Joining in with Nature in the Home.

12 comments:

  1. So pretty ... my little ones painted stars like these at an activity day in the summer holidays ... they had a ball ... the centre provided glitter, glue and poster paint and they decorated for ages ... they had them in their rooms until recently when they fell apart ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shame! Yes I bet kids would have a whale of a time covering stars like these in paint and glitter!x

      Delete
  2. Fab idea, really want to make one of these with Ruby - I'm thinking of winding red & white bakers twine around it, she'll probably prefer tinsel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, red and white bakers twine would look brilliant - v festive!x

      Delete
  3. Oh Helen this is gorgeous! I love both. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still erring towards the 5 point, but the 6 point is growing on me!x

      Delete
  4. fantastic!
    love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Must give this a try - maybe even little ones to add to Christmas gift hampers... and an excuse to get the glue gun out.
    Hope the naps get longer again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, little ones would look lovely! I attempted a teeny one but the twigs were too wiggly and it just looked odd! Happy glue gunning! x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x