""

Friday, 15 November 2013

Leaf Jar Lamps - Nature in the Home: Week 4












Walking back through the park on the way back from playgroup yesterday, we stopped to collect some leaves. Once we got home, and I'd done the pushchair-to-cot sleepy-toddler-transfer, I ran round collecting up bits and bobs we'd use later to do some making. We didn't need much - only a couple of glass jars, the bottle of PVA glue, a few paintbrushes and the leaves from the park that I'd rinsed and dried.

I don't do much in the way of craft with my little one at the moment (crayons and felt tips aside) and want this to chaange - she's getting more interested now so I think I need to search Pinterest for toddler art activities - any ideas welcome!

We covered the jars in a layer of glue (this was the bit she loved best!) and then put the leaves on top. I wish I'd snipped the stems off as they insisted on poking upwards all the time - nothing a bit of extra glue can't solve though! A few coats of glue on top of the leaves to keep them on and the jars were finished. They took quite a while to dry (that may have something to do with the copious amounts of glue that was painted on them...) but were definitely worth the wait!

Joining in with Nature in the Home.

12 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous ... I love the autumn glow they create ... as for toddler art, one of the first crafty things I did with my little ones was making salt dough ... lots of recipes online ... and using it to make shapes ... initially they used it like modelling clay but later they liked to make shapes, dry them and then paint them ... endless possibilities ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! How could I have forgotten about salt dough?! We'll definitely be making some of that x

      Delete
  2. I LOVE these and deffo will be trying it out, perhaps even this weekend if I get a minute. Sadly I will be doing it on my own - my boys would rather die than craft with me. There is nothing a withering as a teenager's withering look! Beautiful Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you never know?! Go on, ask them!! Thank you x

      Delete
  3. these are lovely, so pretty with the light shining through the leaves! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the candle/leaf effect worked as I hoped!x

      Delete
  4. They look beautiful - what a lovely way to capture Autumn! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADORE these! Such beauties. We made Solstice lanterns a couple of years ago with tissue paper (a great toddler activity) - but I might get the boys to make some of these this year. Stunning! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! We'll have to try making some tissue paper ones for Christmas perhaps - hope your boys enjoy making these! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x