""

Thursday, 21 November 2013

We like to read - I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen







I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen

We seem to have graduated in the library - we still check out all the toddler friendly board books, but we're now bringing home more picture books which I'm oh so happy about. It's so lovely to be able to introduce my little one to childhood favourites, and discover other new books together. We've got a little carried away at the moment though - both our library cards are maxed out, mostly on picture books...! Some of these picture books are ones I've chosen (like the lovely Jon Klassen book here), and others are books my little one has found (including a 'first words in French' book that she was adamant we had to bring home! Ha!)

Back in my past life as a teacher, I organised a hat competition for World Book Day - the children created a hat depicting a story, or a hat that starred in a story (there were a lot of Where's Wally bobble hats!) and the winner won a hat-related book. That book was I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen. I was very jealous as I wanted to keep it - it's so clever!

Bear has lost his hat. He wanders through the forest asking the animals if they have seen his hat, and does, eventually get his hat back. The illustrations are wonderful - simple yet detailed. The text is the same - it appears simple, but is brilliantly hilarious and sarcastic. I love the expressions of the animals - bored rabbit is my favourite I think.

And don't worry, Bear does eventually get his hat back...I won't spoil the ending by revealing how though!

Joining in with We Like to Read.


”books”

12 comments:

  1. oh yes, I hear very good things about that book… love the illustrations x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to find someone that doesn't love it! The illustrations are great aren't they - he's illustrated another book called 'the dark', I think, which is equally lovely. x

      Delete
  2. I've had my eye on this book for a while as I can tell I would really love it. Never mind the children! The illustrations are beautiful, aren't they?! So full of character. Really funny too, I think. We might join in with his too, perhaps.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO funny! Little ones laugh at the funny bear in a hat, while the grown ups laugh at all the sarcasm. Definitely get it! x

      Delete
  3. My sister is a librarian and teacher in an international school and this is a very popular book, and she gave us a copy over the summer. My 5 year old daughter certainly enjoys it. Another one she has given us recently is Interrupting Chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it?! Haven't heard of Interrupting Chicken - will check it out, thank you!x

      Delete
  4. This post made me want to read "I Want My Hat Back" to Wiggles do much I had to order a copy from Amazon! Can't wait to see how bear gets round that little problem!

    Kate x
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has it arrived yet?! You'll LOVE it, and Wiggles and Biscuit will love it too I'm sure! x

      Delete
  5. I've seen this book around and have still yet to get Wilf (erm..myself) a copy. It looks fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do, it's so brilliant! The illustrations are gorgeous too - even without the ace-ly sarcastic text, the book would be worth buying purely for the pictures x

      Delete
  6. I'd never heard if this book before, loving the look on the animals faces though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great aren't they! Bored rabbit is brill! x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x