""

Sunday, 3 November 2013

We like to read - What the Ladybird Heard





What the Ladybird Heard by Julia Donaldson.

This book has been a favourite in our house for a long while (so much so that we know most of it off-by-heart now!) Written in Julia Donaldson's typical rhyming couplet style, it tells the story of the little ladybird who overhears Lanky Len and Hefty Hugh discussing how they will steal the fine prize cow. But fear not, the ladybird comes up with a plan! (I won't spoil the end - it's a very clever idea, and one that will be well appreciated by older toddlers who will think it's wonderfully silly!)

The book features lots of lovely farm animals, all colourfully illustrated  by Lydia Monks. There's also a glittery ladybird to spot on each page, and a glittery trail as the ladybird tells each animal the plan (as you can see in the photo!) Plus the first and last double page spreads feature a picture of the farmyard which is very popular for pointing out the miaooooows, maooos, sniffs (pigs!) and vroom vrooms!

Joining in with Tigerlilly Quinn's We Like to Read link up.

”books”

10 comments:

  1. I also love this book. When I needed a book very quickly to read to my class just before half term (I couldn't get the YouTube video I wanted to load onto the interactive whiteboard) I grabbed this book and very soon the children were all joining in with the animal noises. I love the rhyming couplets and the colourful illustrations. A true lifesaver! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good joining-in book isn't it?! I remember reading it to a class too, it's definitely one that needs to be read aloud! x

      Delete
  2. We love this book in our house. In fact, we love anything by Julia Donaldson. Someone told me once that there is a little tiny gruffalo hidden or disguised in a picture in each of her story books. I've never gotten around to checking but how cool it that! Gorgeous photos too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I think I've heard similar...we've got a few JD books so I'd best start checking! I'll let you know if I find any!! x

      Delete
  3. I'm not showing off (well, maybe I am a bit) but we met Julia Donaldson on Saturday. She was here as part of the Faclan book festival and we attended an event where she, her husband and many volunteers acted out several of her stories, which included this book. It was AMAZING. Got some books signed, too. Such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, definitely show off about it, I bet that was amazingly good! We went to a JD exhibition the other day which was really good, but have never seen her in the flesh! x

      Delete
  4. yay we love this book! Actually Tom does a little rap in the middle. Love Julia Donaldson xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I need to up my reading game, no raps appear in our book at the moment!x

      Delete
  5. This looks good, I'm always on the hunt for books that will keep my girl still for 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out - it's great! So much for toddlers with all the animals to spot, animal noises to make, glittery ladybirds to find - should keep her busy for at least 5 minutes!x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x