""

Friday, 17 January 2014

The Year in Books: January


Pictured is today's nap time view...

I often write about the picture books we read in our house, but very rarely, despite my best intentions, have I got further than briefly mentioning any books that are piled on my bedside table.

The last time I wrote about books was the summer - I rather optimistically came back from the library with a stack of books, with the aim of taking a few on holiday. Of course, you can guess what happened: I managed to read half a book on holiday, while the others languished in a stack, taunting me, until they were returned to the library (with a few fines to pay...). While I still love browsing the shelves in the library, I fear unless I know I'll read it straight away, I can't max out my library card on lovely tomes anymore.

I recently decided I'd try to read every night - even if it's just a page or two - so I can get back into books properly and work my way through my current want-to-read list. And as if by fate, I then read Laura's blog post about trying to read a book a month. I, and many other bibliophiles, asked if we could jump on her book-reading band-wagon: she said yes! Laura has created a link-up so that we can share books we have read and would recommend (or not...) to others, plus a Pinterest board that makes me want to create floor-to-ceiling-shelves in every room of my house.

The Goldfinch is my current reading material (along with many others it seems - I keep seeing it mentioned!) With elegant and enthralling prose, it makes me wish I could spend every evening curled up reading it. I will keep schtum about the subject matter and events until next month - hopefully I will have finished it by then so I can share my thoughts.

After The Goldfinch, I have a few other books waiting in line that have recently caught my eye:
* Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson
* Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
* Love, Nina by Nina Stibbe
* The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (that was one of my summer library finds that I never finished) * Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell

Any others I should add to my list?

See you in February for (no doubt) lots of cooing about The Goldfinch, plus deliberations about what I'll be reading next.

9 comments:

  1. I'm loving 'The Goldfinch' too. I've linked up with Laura. It seems a popular choice.

    A couple for your ever growing book list:

    Where D'You Go Bernadette? - Maria Semple

    The Universe Versus Alex Woods - Gavin Extence

    Leanne xx




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you, I've not heard of either of those - off to google them now! Yes a lot of people are reading The Goldfinch at the moment. I'm yet to see a bad review which bodes well! x

      Delete
  2. Well, this sounds very familiar! Nap time reading...half a book on holiday....library fines. Yes, that's me in a nutshell when it comes to reading lately. I'm off my game and stripped of time by a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a bit of a shock after having time to read lots - I don't even get the feeding-the-baby-read-stuff-on-the-kindle-app anymore! I'm going to keep trying to read a couple of pages every night - slow and steady wins the race and all that...! x

      Delete
  3. I too am trying to read a bit each night. I made sure I did it when I was studying last year so that I went to sleep thinking of something else and so I thought it might help me again now as I keep waking up with children in my class running through my head! Miss Pettigrew lives for a day is lovely - I hope you enjoy it. I think that you're a Dodie Smith fan, am I right? I read some other books by here last year and they were really enchanting. Like Nancy Mitford but not as stuffy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed you managed to read during your PGCE! I think I just used to collapse into bed in a tired heap! Good idea to read so you're thinking about something other than teaching though. Thank you for the good recommendation of Miss Pettigrew. And you're right, I really should seek out other Dodie Smith books - thank you! x

      Delete
  4. I have read three of your books waiting to be read....I thought the Kate Atkinson was the best. And I keep seeing The Goldfinch, so may need to check that out - even though I have never followed what others do, you're never too old to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for the Kate Atkinson as I'm a big fan - so I'm glad you rated it! Yes many others seem to be reading The Goldfinch - I'm only 150 pages in, but I'd definitely recommend it. x

      Delete
  5. I'm seeing The Goldfinch everywhere in Blogland - as it's a massive tome I'm waiting to see what others think before taking it on. I'm also taking part in The Year In Books as I really want to get back into the habit of reading. Finished Gone Girl in three days and am now enjoying Zadie Smith's NW.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x