""

Saturday, 18 January 2014

This Week: January #3



















This week hasn't been the easiest. I can't put my finger on the reason why, but everything has just felt a bit blah. I'm sure the weather doesn't help, and nor does the early-waking cold-y toddler, the forgotten lunches, the freelancing deadlines and growing damp patches on bedroom walls.

With all the blah, my camera lay forlorn and forgotten about in the cupboard for a few days. I took no 'proper' photos between the Saturday afternoon river snap and Thursday. Unheard of! My camera is obviously a good mood barometer.

But enough of the down-in-the-dumps. Friday I shook it off and got cooking. Guaranteed to cheer me up. Butternut squash roasted with rosemary - originally destined for soup, it ended up getting thrown into risotto tonight with chorizo and a pinch of chilli flakes for good measure. Blueberry cakes were on the menu too. My little one wasn't so keen to help me stir up the mix it seemed, and was more interested in sticking her fingers in the margarine and making herself turn upside down. Each to their own. A slight variation on this recipe, as we only had one egg and had to replace the soured cream with yoghurt. A tad sink-y due to the missing egg, but they taste good.

It's that time of year again too - marmalade season. 2kg of Sevilles came back from the greengrocers with us yesterday and we (I persuaded R to help me - the lure of homemade marmalade was too much to resist) spent this evening chopping, and chopping some more. We developed marmalader's elbow I think. Tomorrow night will be the boiling up, and filling the house with the gloriously orange perfume. I just hope I have enough jars...

Sifting through a stack of old postcards and pictures in our local charity shop perked up my Friday too - yellowed holiday postcards from the '70s, photos of ancient Greek temples and the card correspondence between one local lady and her friend. I had to bring home a few, including this card with a small corner of wallpaper sellotaped on for the reader's perusal.

Tomorrow is destined for sunshine so we're heading out somewhere for a wander. A week of crafting and more cooking awaits I think.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend.


10 comments:

  1. I'm glad the week ended better than it started and you found lots of cheery things to do. I blame this bizarre winter weather. What I would give for a few cold but bright days - I'm so bored of rain. The postcards look so interesting. I can spend many an hour looking through old cards that friends and family have sent to me, so I'm sure that it is even more exciting to read these ones. Enjoy the rest of the weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finally had one of those sunny bright days today - much needed! I think I'm a bit of a nerd with the postcards - and a bit nosey!! Hope you had a great weekend too x

      Delete
  2. Oh yum ... homemade marmalade sounds just lovely ... lovely photos as always ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marmalade is simmering as I type. It smells so good! Thanks Bee x

      Delete
  3. Hi! I'm partial to old postcards too - love the black and white one particularly.

    We also get through a lot of marmalade here but I've never made any... there's a decent grocer nearby though and I know he has Seville oranges so maybe I should give it a go (your description of the nice perfume has got me inspired)...

    Hope your weekend's fun and you can wave goodbye to that 'blah' feeling - it's the time of year, I think!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do give it a go - you seem to be a dab hand in the kitchen so I'm sure you'd find it a doodle! The chopping takes a while (perhaps not one to start with Joe around!) but it's so worth it!
      A much needed sunny day and family time has shrugged off the blah feeling - I think it was partly a hangover from a weekend away with my mum and dad and coming back to reality and housework dullness. But gone now! x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful picture of the canal and the butternut squash looks wonderful. This past week my little babe has been waking up before 6am, handing me my glasses, and getting herself out of bed. That is my signal to turn on the light and get up myself, whether I like it or not! These little babes do what they want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, they really do don't they?! Love that she hands you your glasses as if to say get up - clever girl! (I suspect you don't love it quite so much though!) Pre-6am starts are just hard aren't they - hope she sleeps in a little later for you soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely canal shot, and i love the idea of homemade marmelade! popping in from em's weekly stills :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x