""

Friday, 10 January 2014

This Week: January#2






Back to normal routine this week. It's been good. Catching up with friends, visiting the library, pottering round the charity shops, visiting the park - plus squeezing in a little freelancing, which is an exciting way to start the new year.

There's been a lot of clearing out and reorganising going on in our house. The kitchen has been blitzed (so much so that we often can't remember where the marmite/baking trays/flour now lives) and next up is the dining room. I made a start on the recipe books at the start of the year and finally (it's only taken me two years...) sorted out the stack of ripped out recipes I've been hoarding. In doing so, we've rediscovered some old favourites and found some new recipes to try. The perfect nudge to get us out of the meal-planning rut we seem to have got into. This week we tried a fragrant and chilli-laden Vietnamese beef pho; the perfect dinner for a damp, cold day.

I said here that I wanted to make/find more time for creativity. This week I started as I mean to go on.
Some evenings I left the laptop unopened and the TV off and instead wielded a glue gun, chopped up paper, planned other projects and felt productive. These paper covered tins are destined to be a pen pot in the hallway, a make up brush holder and container for some paperwhites. I'm now eyeing up the contents of our tins cupboard...

Snail mail has been making a reappearance this week too. I got out of the habit of sending letters by the end of last year, but after being given lots of lovely notecards for Christmas (including the lovely owls above) I have no excuse.

Soundtrack to the week: The dark, moody Daughter. Hearing their 6music session played again on the radio this week has made me re-listen to the whole album.

Hope your week has been good to you.


11 comments:

  1. These lovely posts always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, those tins - a good use for all the nice paper I've got stashed in the sideboard I think (and a good excuse to get the glue gun out).
    It's so cute when they sit leafing through a book, isn't it? More often than not it's upside down, but I love how they look so deep in thought...
    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me that stashes away nice paper - I must find more uses for it so I actually get to use it and see it.
      Ha, yes, even if it's read backwards and upside down, they can look very earnest! x

      Delete
  3. your photos are beautiful x I love the tins as well, did you cover them yourself??

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh my first comment went wayward.. with a error.

    beautiful photos, did you cover those tins yourself?? I love the patterns on them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did - dead easy to do with a bit of wash tape to cover any sharp bits and the glue gun to stick it down. V speedy but v satisfying! And thank you x

      Delete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one with bulbs already shooting. The ones I planted at nursery are going full pelt and if the mild weather continues I worry that the children will think that spring is on its way before we have any proper winter weather.

    I really do need to get up and have a good tidy. Christmas has left the house and yet order has not fully resumed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are your bulbs still madly growing? Ours seem to have slowed a bit now - must be something to do with all the rain or something.
      A good tidy is so satisfying, even if it takes a while to summon the motivation! x

      Delete
  6. Lovely images. Your paper-covered tins are really fun. I covered an SMA formula tin with wrapping paper about four years ago for the kids' felt pens - we still use it now, although it could do with being refreshed. Loads of my bulbs and primulas have come up and I'm worried that if we get any snow now, they'll all die. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, I bet that tin is the perfect size for felt tips! I do love a bit of repurposing.
    I hadn't even thought of snow killing the bulbs...I'll have to bring them inside if it does get colder! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x