""

Thursday, 23 January 2014

Watch the Birdie: the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch


With a girl who is ever keen to watch the birds 'namnamnam' all the food up outside, it seems perfect timing that it is the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend.

We don't tend to get many birds in our garden due to the ever-present neighbourhood cats, but I'm hoping the friendly felines might make an exception over the weekend and let the birds in. I'm also hoping to spot something slightly more exotic than the blackbirds and seagulls we normally get. (I'm thinking blue tits or goldfinches, not parrots or flamingoes...).

I've been a bit slack at putting food out for the birds recently - they tend to get our leftover lunch crusts, but I have recently remembered to restock the bird feeder. Last year I made some lard bird feeders to hang up (like these) - and have just found the bag of bird seed I'd bought, so the birds might be getting a food treat soon.

If you fancy taking part in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, all you need to do is register on the RSPB website, and then spend an hour of your weekend watching the garden and recording the birds you see.

Happy birdwatching!

Image from here.

12 comments:

  1. Seagulls would be so exotic around here! We have two fat woodpigeons, two ring-necked doves and the odd brave blackbird.
    Cats are a problem for us, too. We no longer have one but birds must have long memories as our old cat was a serious serial killer. I think I'm the only one who puts crusts and seed out, so our garden has become some kind of feline social club.
    I love how little ones sit and watch the birds so excitedly...
    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pigeons AND doves - now that would be exotic round here! As much as I like cats, many around us are serial killers too - the feathers on our lawn reveal their dastardly actions. Boooo. x

      Delete
  2. We have an environmental center near us (I actually interned there in college) that does a Birding Cup every year - teams of 4 people that try to sight the most number of birds in a 24 hour period within our county. It always amazes me how into birds people get! I read the book, The Big Year (and saw the movie) about fanatical birders and both were pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of that book - or the film - so I'll have to look it up. I wonder how many birds they manage to spot in the 24 hour period?!

      Delete
  3. I was only just mentioning this to the hubby yesterday. Our cat knows he would get a boot mark applied to his backside if he so much as looks at the wildlife in our garden the wrong way.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I wish the cats round us were as well behaved (or disciplined!) as yours! x

      Delete
  4. I've previously enjoyed doing this in January - it's a nice way to while away the afternoon and I found it focused me on thinking about what to do with the garden come the spring. However this year we've had so few birds visit the garden I'm not sure it's worth me doing it. I don't know if it's the mild weather but we've not had much feeder and bird table action at all this year. I'm a bit disappointed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had many this year either - partly cats and partly lack of food I think. When I've put feeders out, there are definitely more that visit, so I must remember to do it more. x

      Delete
  5. PinkCatJo - part of the reason the RSPB organise this every year is to look at the decline in the numbers of birds. Knowing that there are so few birds this year is just as important to the RSPB - if not more so - that a whole garden full of birds. So yes, it's DEFINITELY worth you doing it this year. Good luck. RC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved doing this before ... it's a great way to while away an hour on a winter afternoon ... I think I will give it a go tomorrow as the wind and rain are battering us at the moment ... such a miserable day ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to pick our hour carefully so as not to try and spot the birds during a complete deluge! I'm sure the bad weather meant that the birds stayed away though. x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x