""

Friday, 7 February 2014

A Marmalade Chocolate Cake






Yes, you heard right. Turns out that marmalade + chocolate = really good. I'd spied this recipe on Charlotte's Plot (well worth a read for foody, gardening types) and decided that it was exactly what was needed on a(nother) cold, wet day.

A satisfyingly easy cake to make (butter and chocolate is melted together, and then each ingredient is stirred in, before the resulting glossy mixture is poured into the tin), it was ready in the time it took us to don wellies and head out for a quickish puddle walk around the block. It really does taste as good as it sounds - the initial chocolate taste fades until you are left with that unmistakable bittersweet tang of the Seville oranges. I don't see this cake hanging around for long. (I contemplated having some for breakfast this morning...).

I want to have a go making a flourless version - it's so dense and moist anyway, the flour seems rather extraneous. I think an experiment is in order - and I'm sure I'll find some willing tasters. This recipe, minus the coffee and vanilla, but with the added bonus of a few spoons of marmalade will be my starting point I think.

8 comments:

  1. No marmalade here, but the recipe sounds great. It has fruit in it, so of course you can have a piece for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks delicious! Going to give it a try over the weekend! Thank you for recipe sharing :)

    Kate x
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go - dead easy and SO tasty! x

      Delete
  3. Ooh this looks interesting. I like chocolate oranges so pretty sure I'd like this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh sounds yummy ... will definitely give it a go ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x