""

Saturday, 1 February 2014

The Garden Diaries: January








heather, providing great swathes of colour / love these spiky seed heads, especially with the red dogwood behind / silver birch bark / camellia - it's been in bloom for over a week. I'm sure it wasn't this early last year / new in with the old: hydrangeas / buds shooting skywards - not the first time I've taken a shot like this / bluebells beneath the smoke bush / snowdrops - and here they are the same time last year. Looks like this lot are a bit slower to get going though than last year's.

Garden jobs aplenty this weekend - the glorious sunshine (albeit with biting wind) provided the perfect moment to head outside. Sodden ground dug over (much to the happiness of the blackbird mum who came to dig up worms right next to where I was working), the garlic was planted, the straggly strawberry plants were tidied and some of their baby plants rehomed (anyone local want one?! I've got 3), and the narcissi were potted up (yes, yes, they should've been planted ages ago, but in our massive conservatory clear up and sort out that we did this morning, I found a forgotten packet. I've got my fingers crossed that they'll still grow). Here's to plenty more sunny, productive mornings over the coming months.


6 comments:

  1. That heather is lovely - so refreshing to see a bit of colour. This year I find myself looking back to 2013 when winter seemed to last forever and we didn't have any flowers until mid-March. This year we have a rose in bloom and I think the camelia will flower before too long. Seasons - do they really exist? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking back at last year's pics too - we'd had lots of snow this time last year I think, so everything slowed down a bit. We've got a rose in bloom at the moment too - seems very odd! (Nice though!) And who knows re the seasons - they all seem a big higgledy-piggledy! x

      Delete
  2. Oh the heather is so pretty ... your garden seems to have lots of little hints of spring on the way ... I always love to see snowdrops popping up everywhere ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee, yes it's starting to show lots of signs of life - it's lovely to wander around and watch it all waking up slowly. I love the snowdrops too. So nice to see green shoots. x

      Delete
  3. Love the picture of the shadowed twigs with buds. I think you had to get your knees dirty to take some of these great shots!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x