""

Sunday, 2 February 2014

This Week: Feb#1






And so, just like that, it's February. January seems to have passed by in a blur of grey days with the odd flash of sunshine. But the grey days aren't all bad - just another reason to stay in and get cosy. Marmalade has been made, twice. Cake seems to be making a regular appearance in the tin in the kitchen (the last lot was made purely because the heating was on the blink and I wanted to heat the kitchen with the oven. A darn good reason to make cake I reckon). We've been rediscovering old favourite recipes and trying out new ones too which makes for some good dinners. We seem to have been challenging the grey damp of January with the heat of red chilli; guacamole, Thai noodle soup, beef pho, cajun chicken... A delicious way to warm up.

This week has flown by in a blur of work being done on the house, entertaining the small one with miaow-shaped drawings (and post-nap cat masks), teddy and bunny getting kissy - mwah!, discovering forgotten bulbs and seed heads awaiting emptying whilst clearing out the dumping ground (aka the conservatory), and getting out into the garden to catch up on many, many jobs. Plus a lovely dinner out with a good friend. This week also marked 9 years since I first met R. 9 years! Woah.

This morning, we decided to head out into the sunshine. A ride on a steam train was very exciting for a certain small one, and then on the short walk we went on (before deciding we were too hungry and instead making a beeline for the sandwiches...) we found this happy robin singing away in the dogwood and managed to creep right up beside him. One of those magical moments.

Hope your weekend has been full of lovely things.






10 comments:

  1. I love that robin photo! I dream of a zoom lens as I can get nowhere near anything to get a picture like that.

    And I'm liking the sound of your cold weather meals - must have a go at some of those myself. I've been craving Thai curry for a while now too - must be the whole warming spices thing.

    Well done for braving the garden. I'm being a bit pathetic on that score... hope you take plenty of tea out there with you.

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't actually a zoom lens - just a very brave robin that was happy for me to get really, really close! I've got a zoom lens but it's so heavy, I can't use it without a tripod - and I can never be bothered to cart the tripod around, so it sits in a drawer unloved.

      We're all about the warming spices at the moment - much chilli being chopped in our house. (Although I always do it while wearing washing up gloves now as I've wiped my eyes too many times with chilli hands...)

      And why have I never thought of taking tea out into the garden with me?! I've got one of those thermos mugs and everything. My garden jobs are now revolutionised - thank you!! x

      Delete
  2. Yes, the first picture has amazing colors! What a different robin than the "Robin Red Breasts" that we have here. Sounds like a wonderful mommy and baby outing - train rides - we don't have that around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, I'd assumed all robins looked the same! I'll have to look them up online for some pics. Yes the train ride was a good family trip out - lots of fun!

      Delete
  3. That robin is amazing - you clearly keep him well fed. Looks like role play has started in your home - lovely to see bunny and teddy's affection for each other! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of role play starting in our house now - I love it! Definitely something to encourage. x

      Delete
  4. Lovely post and I recognise a lot in it! There has been a lot of cake and pancakes in this house too! Thanks for visiting over my way. As I said I really need to connect more. I read a lot but comment rarely and I intend to change that this year. Think my wee one has that cardi too! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm the same - I could easily spend every evening reading blogs and commenting - I need to comment more too. Tis a lovely cardi - I'm trying to justify the yellow one too... Thanks for popping by Jo x

      Delete
  5. Your photos are so lovely, and that shot of the robin is a great capture. That last image of the kissing toys...too cute. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian - he posed rather well, luckily! She's very into giving kisses to the toys now - the bedtime kiss for her baby is the sweetest though. x

      Delete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you so drop me a note! x